You won’t be able to resist these crispy-crunchy 5-ingredient air fryer kale chips! The nutritional yeast gives them a cheesy flavor while keeping them totally vegan.
Looking for a healthy way to satisfy your cravings for something crunchy? These air fryer kale chips are so irresistibly tasty, it’s hard to believe they’re actually good for you!
Best of all, you only need five ingredients and about half an hour to whip up a batch! They’re great for snacking, as a crispy side, and everything in between.
They also get a delightfully cheesy flavor from the nutritional yeast!
Here’s what I’m going to teach you in this post:
- How to make the best air fryer kale chips
- Why nutritional yeast is the powerhouse ingredient behind this recipe
- What to serve with these crispy bites
- How to store air fried kale chips
Even if you’ve never been a big fan of kale, these crunchy chips will change your mind in just one bite. You can get all those amazing nutrients but feel like you’re eating junk food!
I know that sounds too good to be true, but you’ll just have to give them a try and find out for yourself.
I made this recipe using the 5.8 QT Cosori Air Fryer. Its square basket makes it the perfect size for our family of 4.
How to Make Kale Chips in the Air Fryer
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Wash the kale leaves, then dry them on paper towels or in a salad spinner. I love to use my OXO Salad Spinner because it makes the process so much quicker.
STEP TWO: One at a time, lay a kale leaf on a cutting board and cut down the sides of the stalk. Discard the stalk, then tear the two sides into smaller pieces.
STEP THREE: Place the kale pieces in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Using your hands, massage the oil evenly onto all of the kale pieces.
STEP FOUR: Add the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper, then toss to coat.
STEP FIVE: Preheat the air fryer to 270 degrees F.
STEP SIX: Place the kale in the basket, only adding as much as you can fit in a single layer.
STEP SEVEN: Cook for 5-7 minutes, tossing the kale chips every 3 minutes to prevent burnt chips.
How Long to Air Fry Kale
Each batch of kale chips only needs to cook for 5-7 minutes. 6 minutes was the perfect amount of time for me, and I was able to cook all of the kale in 4 batches for a total of about 24 minutes cooking time.
The final amount of time is going to depend on the size and make of your air fryer, the size of the kale pieces, and how much you put in the air fryer basket.
The best thing to do is experiment a little as you cook the batches to find your perfect kale chips!
Why Do You Make Air Fryer Kale Chips with Nutritional Yeast?
Nutritional yeast is a very popular ingredient in vegan and plant-based cooking. It’s deactivated yeast that comes packaged like a seasoning and has a slightly cheesy flavor.
That’s what makes it great in recipes like this one!
Adding the nutritional yeast makes kale chips extra crunchy while also giving them a boost of savory flavor.
Best of all, it also adds vitamins and minerals to the chips, making this snack a nutritional powerhouse!
Tips for Making the Best Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Lay the kale in the air fryer basket in a single layer with as little overlap as possible. This ensures your kale chips will get nice and crispy!
- Toss the kale chips every 3 minutes to ensure they are all cooking evenly and getting crispy. We definitely don’t want any soft pieces hanging around that didn’t get enough of that nice, hot air.
- If you really load your basket up, you’ll want to lengthen the cooking time, but make sure you still toss your kale every 3 minutes or so!
What to Serve with Air Fryer Kale Chips
How to Store Air Fried Kale Chips
Lucky enough to have some extra kale chips? I recommend storing them in a gallon zip lock bag or wrapped in aluminum foil.
That way, you can keep them crispy for the next time you’re craving a crunchy snack or side!
Other Air Fryer Chip Recipes You’ll Love:
Love air frying? Join us newsletter! You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagramor join our free Facebook Air Frying Community.
- Wash your kale leaves and lie to dry on paper towels, or spin dry them if you have a salad spinner. Begin by laying your kale leaf on a cutting board and cutting down the sides of the stalk. Then discard the stalk. Take the two leaves and tear them into smaller pieces.
- Place them in a bowl and drizzle olive oil over your kale, and using your hands, massage the oil evenly onto all of the kale pieces.
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
- Preheat your air fryer to 270 degrees.
- Place your kale in the basket, in as close to a single layer as possible. You will be cooking in batches. Cook for 5-7 minutes, tossing the kale chips every 3 minutes to prevent burnt chips.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 74Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgsodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 2gfiber: 1gsugar: 0gprotein: 1g
This nutrition information is based on the exact products I used in this recipe. Brands and sizes of products could alter exact nutrition and should always be calculated independently.